UNDER CONSTRUCTION! INFORMATION COMING SOON!
Camp Riflery programs are among the most popular activities at summer camps where riflery is offered. Camp Riflery offers boys and girls the opportunity to master safe gun handling and marksmanship skills while learning about the exciting Olympic Sport of target shooting. Campers learn to handle rifles safely and how to fire them accurately at targets while developing valuable life skills that will benefit them as they grow and mature.
The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has developed a Camp Riflery program for youth camps that can assist and support them in offering riflery programs to their campers. Click on any of the following headings for more information.
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SHOOTING!
- Riflery is one of the safest of all youth sports. In 2003, the CMP implemented new safety standards for all rifle shooting activities. Since those changes, there have been zero gun accidents in all supervised youth shooting sport activities in the USA.
- Because of Camp Riflery’s outstanding safety record, Riflery has little or no impact on camp liability insurance costs.
- Gender, size, strength, speed, and physical ability are not important factors in determining success in the shooting sports.
- Anyone can be a successful shooting sports participant if they are willing to practice.
- Shooting sports teach life skills—discipline, responsibility ,the rewards of hard work, self-control and respect for others.
- Shooting is an Olympic sport. Shooting is an NCAA college sport. Shooting is a varsity or club sport in many high schools.
- It’s Fun!
Instructor Training Courses. The goal of the CMP Camp Riflery Instructor Training Course (ITC) is to train individuals who will work as camp riflery instructors so that they can return to their camps and, with very little assistance, teach rifle marksmanship and operate a camp range safely. The ITC is a demanding course of instruction training over two days. During the course, the potential camp instructor must demonstrate that he or she can run a safe range and teach the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. The course concludes with a 100 question final exam that must be passed with a score of 80 or better to graduate. Although most ITC instruction and training is done with BB guns, the fundamentals of rifle target shooting are the same for BB gun, air rifle and smallbore rifle. Safety concerns vary for each discipline, but safety and marksmanship skills developed with one type or rifle readily apply to any other type of rifle shooting.
Camps with openings for Camp Riflery Instructors. This section is dedicated to listing openings for Camp Rifle Instructors. If you wish to list an opening at your camp, contact Kathy Williams at email@example.com or (419) 635-2141, ext. 1109.
For additional information on the Camp Riflery Program, contact Lue Sherman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (419) 635-2141, ext. 1107 or Kathy Williams at email@example.com, (419) 635-2141, ext. 1109.